Asylum Lake

Asylum Lake - R.A. Evans I don't usually read horror novels. Why? Because any book that makes me sick to my stomach I don't consider entertainment. This is just a personal preference and I realize I'm in the minority here. That being said though, there are some good ones out there, maybe I just shouldn't be reviewing them. Still, I know a good book when I read one, even if I cringe through the whole thing. And this is a good book.The plot of Asylum Lake is just fantastic. It twists and it turns and you think you know where the book is going to go, but then the author throws you for a loop and something totally unexpected happens. There's so much creativity here. I wonder often how authors do this. I can't even imagine coming up with fantastic ideas like the ones found in this novel. It's a pretty quick read. But it's one hell of a ride. You find yourself finding sympathy for characters that you know you shouldn't. My husband would totally love this book, because it's twisted and he loves that kind of stuff. It's very Chuck Palahniuklike. More like the paranormal version though.There are some pretty gory moments found in these pages.If you can't handle that, don't read. And the human imagination can definitely make it worse. Lots of blood and guts. And aside from that, it gets really creepy at times.What can I say though? The book is beautifully written. R.A. Evans writes like he's been doing it forever. Maybe he has. Who knows? There is a sequel to this book coming out and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to read it yet or not. But I probably will, because even though the story wrapped up nicely, there are still a LOT of unanswered questions. And I sort of want to know the answers. If I have one criticism of the book it's that it seemed to take awhile for the story to get going. And then there was the fact that as a reader, you knew the asylum was across the lake the whole time, but it was hardly in the story until the very end. I think asylums are pretty much the creepiest places on earth and I was really hoping to find more of it here. The cover has an asylum on it, asylum is in the title, yet it was lacking in that department. It might sound stupid to you, but it makes sense to me. I can only hope that the next novel follows more of a storyline having to do with the asylum itself. A lot happened there. I am looking forward to reading the next title in the series. Well done R.A Evans.