Darkness Becomes Her

Darkness Becomes Her - Kelly Keaton Summary from Goodreads:Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Where to begin? For starters, I love the title. It reminds me of the movie, Death Becomes Her with Goldie Hawn and Meryl Streep, which by the way is one of my favorite movies. I like the cover of the book, but I don't love it. But it does enough to draw your eye in, and because of that I think it's successful. New Orleans is my favorite setting for books. There's just something atmospheric and mysterious about the place. I think the author did a good job of capturing the essence of New Orleans, but not great. For a lovely New Orleans setting, check out Ruined by Paula Morris. The descriptions of places was decent, but maybe it was the writing style I didn't care for.For one thing, there is just way too much cussing in this book. I don't mind cussing in novels, but it just goes over the top here, to the point where it almost becomes ridiculous. It's like watching a bad Bruce Willis movie unfold. It got corny. I was waiting for Arnold Schwarzenegger to pop up in a scene and say, "Go ahead. Make my day."The story itself was fun, but I feel like it was trying to be more serious than it should have been. I feel as if it almost gave off a pretentious vibe, and the fact of the matter is, I found it corny. I was with the author and into the story until I found out that Athena, a Greek goddess, was the villain. Too far. I can only suspend my belief to a certain point. Plus I don't really enjoy fiction with the gods and goddesses in it. I don't even really enjoy the Percy Jackson series that much. I just feel like the Greek myths are stories of their own and interesting enough that they don't have to be used elsewhere. Read them. They are awesome. I thought the characters were interesting though. Ari was a strong female and I liked that. I loved the little girl Violet. And I loved Pascal the alligator, although I don't think it's biologically possible for alligators to be affectionate in any way. I did like parts of the story. I just don't know if I liked it enough to continue the series. I'll have to wait and see how I feel about it later on. My opinions aside, if you like stories that weave in the Greek myths and you don't mind excessive cussing, then I think you may enjoy it. It was fun, it just went too far for me.