Fallen (Lauren Kate's Fallen Series #1)

Fallen - Lauren Kate Goodreads Summary:There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori. Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.Review:I feel like Fallen had so much potential that it did not live up to. It wasn't a bad book, it just didn't meet the expectations I had for it. It was just okay for me. I thought the romance was sweet, but this book was way tooo looonnggg. They could've cut out 200 pages of crap. Seriously. Hardly anything happened until the very end. Ridiculous. I felt like the characters for the most part were completely unlikable. There wasn't anyone for me to root for. I thought everyone was a douchebag or an idiot, especially Luce. Daniel=Douchebag Cam=Douchebag Arianne=Idiot and Douchebag! Gabbe=Idiot The teachers=boring douchebags. The only one that was someone I could root for was Penn. Don't get me started on the outcome of that situation. I enjoyed the setting, but I didn't love it. The cemetery I loved. The library too. The shadows that Luce kept seeing creeped me out. I kept reading because I wanted to see how it ended. At least it held my interest. But all throughout the book I knew that when I finished it, I wasn't going to have great things to say.Here's what I didn't understand. Why did Luce have a ridiculous obsession with a guy that treated her like a wad of gum under his shoe? So what he's good looking. She just kept coming back for more and more abuse. It was kind of disgusting. I know why he did it. I read the whole thing. But, I just kind of disliked her as a character by then. It was too late for her to redeem herself. I didn't hate Daniel. I get why he behaved that way toward her. I just cannot rationalize her behavior toward him. It was almost like the book was justifying abusive relationships. Weird. That being said, I'm going to read Torment. But based on the title, my hopes are not high. It's just like a trainwreck. I can't look away. I have to know how this turns out. Hopefully the next book will be better. I really hope she tightens the plot up more though. Otherwise it's going to get ugly.