Reality Chick

Reality Chick - Lauren Barnholdt Goodreads Summary:All-hour study fests . . . all-night parties . . .Going away to college means total independence and freedom. Unless of course your freshman year is taped and televised for all the world to watch. On uncensored cable.Sweet and normal Ally Cavanaugh is one of five freshpeople shacking up on In the House, a reality show filmed on her college campus. (As if school isn't panic-inducing enough!) The cameras stalk her like paparazzi, but they also capture the fun that is new friends, old crushes, and learning to live on your own. Sure, the camera adds ten pounds, but with the freshman fifteen a given anyway, who cares? Ally's got bigger issues -- like how her long-distance bf can watch her loopy late-night "episode" with a certain housemate. . . .Freshman year on film.It's outrageous.It's juicy.And like all good reality TV,it's impossible to turn off.ReviewEvery now and then, I get frustrated with the books I have been reading. Nothing sits right, I feel like I am being unfair in my reviews, and I just get frustrated. That's usually when I decide to step back and read something fun and enjoyable. Something that will just clear my mind. Like hitting a reset button. Reality Chick was that book. It had been sitting on my shelf for awhile just waiting for the right time.The funny thing is, is that I was prepared to take my time with this book and just chill out. No rush. I've had a lot of other things going on lately anyway. Well that kind of didn't happen. I finished this book in a matter of hours. I couldn't put it down. And I think that's just fantastic. This is my third Lauren Barnholdt book, and I haven't had a lot of luck reading her work. I'm glad to say that Reality Chick was much more enjoyable and entertaining than the other books that I read. Maybe it's because I live reality shows. I don't know. But this book was just good, plain fun.And it was exactly what I intended it to be. A fantastic palate cleanser that prepared me for much more intense reading and rockier roads ahead. Sure there were serious things that happened in the story, but it was all handled in a light-hearted manner. The characters were funny, and yeah, the plotline was easily approaching cliched, but if you really enjoy what you are reading, then who cares?It was a simple young adult contemporary novel based around a reality show set on a college campus. As far as college students go, these guys were pretty tame and innocent, but whatever. I enjoyed it. This book kind of redeemed Lauren Barnholdt in my eyes and I'm ready to read her next book, whatever that may be.