The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2)

The Scorch Trials - James Dashner Goodreads Summary:Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety . . . until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated—and with it, order—and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim . . . and meal.The Gladers are far from finished with running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.Thomas can only wonder—does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?Review:Okay, let's be real. I'm a little confused as to why this book has a higher rating than The Maze Runner. I really enjoyed reading this book, but it did not compare to the magic of the original. I guess my expectations were extremely high going into reading The Scorch Trials.The reason? The first book was extremely original and was unlike anything I had ever read, plus it was so suspenseful and to be truthfully honest, I was terrified while reading it. Those grievers were friggin scary! That being said, I really enjoyed The Scorch Trials, and had it been a stand-alone novel, it would have been absolutely amazing. This is the reason I still gave it four stars, because it was an awesome read by itself. It still had the suspense and the fantastic world-building that the first book had. I did really miss the maze though. There was this feeling of claustrophobia in The Maze Runner that really helped the reader feel trapped in the story.I really loved the section of the story that took place in the city, which based on descriptions, I assumed was Las Vegas. If it wasn't, well then that's how I pictured it anyway. The cranks were really scary and the scenes that took place in the tunnels were riveting. I also really enjoyed the scenes in the beginning that took place in the safe house. After a few days, they still remain very memorable to me.I spent the whole book wondering what the heck was going on between Thomas and Teresa, and still received no answers, just more questions. That's okay though, because I'm pretty sure they will all be answered in The Death Cure, which thankfully comes out in October. I really need to know how this series ends.The one thing I have to complain about, as always, is the lack of character development. This still really bothers me, because I wish I was more emotionally invested in the characters. That way, when something bad happens to them I would care more. It's the end of the second book in the series, and I still have really no idea who Thomas is as a person. He's just a name with a face. The books would be a lot more disturbing if the characters felt a little more real. The Gladers language that I hated in the first book was here in the second book, but for some reason didn't bother me as much. I'm not sure if it's because I got used to it or because it was used in a less awkward way. Either way, it annoyed me a lot less this time around.The Scorch Trials really impressed me, and as a follow-up book to The Maze Runner, I think it was a great effort, but as usual it fell victim to sequel disease. It was good, not great. And I can't help but feel a little bit disappointed. Still, it is really worth reading. The suspense is worth it alone.