Half-Blood (Covenant Series #1)

Half-Blood - Jennifer L. Armentrout Goodreads Summary:The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.Review:Half-Blood came as a complete surprise to me. It's not that I didn't think I would like it, I just didn't think I would like it as much as I did! This was one of the most suspenseful and well-balanced reads I have read this year. What do I mean by well-balanced? I'm referring to the plot, characters, and setting. It all worked splendidly and nothing felt like it was overpowering anything else.Jennifer Armentrout has a wonderful way with words. She knows how to spin a tale, and I was with her the entire way. And her inner voice is a sarcastic, cynical little-b*tch. I loved that. And I loved the sense of humor throughout the book. It was a very difficult book to put down, and because of that, I read through it rather quickly. I loved the characters. I thought the setting was unique and well thought out. But most of all, I loved the plot and the direction the story was taken in.Here's the thing though. I usually don't go for stories about Greek Mythology. I think the Greek Myths stand on their own, and I think that rewriting them is kind of a sacrilege. So you can imagine my reluctance to read this book. And I ended up really liking it. Really, really liking it. So that was a great thing and now I can't wait to get my hands on Pure. There's not a whole lot else I can say that hasn't been said by other reviewers. I think Jennifer Armentrout is on her way up as a YA writer, and Spencer Hill Press did a really smart thing by picking her up before no one else could. If you haven't read Half-Blood, I suggest you do it immediately. Within the pages of this book is a fantastic tale that will suck you in and blow you away.Team Aiden!!