The Descendants

The Descendants - Kaui Hart Hemmings Blurb:Fortunes have changed for the King family, descendants of Hawaiian royalty and one of the state’s largest landowners. Matthew King’s daughters—Scottie, a feisty ten-year-old, and Alex, a seventeen-year-old recovering drug addict—are out of control, and their charismatic, thrill-seeking mother, Joanie, lies in a coma after a boat-racing accident. She will soon be taken off life support. As Matt gathers his wife’s friends and family to say their final goodbyes, a difficult situation is made worse by the sudden discovery that there’s one person who hasn’t been told: the man with whom Joanie had been having an affair. Forced to examine what they owe not only to the living but to the dead, Matt, Scottie, and Alex take to the road to find Joanie’s lover, on a memorable journey that leads to unforeseen humor, growth, and profound revelations.Review:The Descendants made me feel so many things while I was reading it. Sad, uncomfortable, a little bit lost (as I could relate to some of the things going on in this book in my life at the moment), but it was also extremely funny. But more awkward funny than FUNNY funny. Let me explain. You know how sometimes in real life you are in situations where you probably shouldn't laugh, but you do anyway? Maybe someone falls down, or your senile grandpa does something really stupid, and it's sad, but you also laugh because it's so ridiculous? Yeah. There were a lot of those awkward funny moments in this book.It was so good. First of all, the characters. They jump off the page. In a crazy good way. They felt extremely real. This is a book about real people in real-life situations. When your wife is in a coma, and then you find out she's cheating on you, you tend to act out in some really strange ways. And Matt was no exception. He does some really weird things. He is suddenly forced into the position of being a single father and he has no idea what he is supposed to do or how he is supposed to do it. It's kind of a comedy of errors. Only I wouldn't necessarily call them errors. Mishaps, maybe? I don't know.One of the things I was surprised to find out was that this book was published in 2008. I can't believe that this book didn't get more attention when it was published. Because it is truly a great read. The author has a tremendous writer's voice. I would read anything she writes. Easily. And the setting of Hawaii? It enhanced the story in ways you cannot even imagine. This family is going through so much. And all around them there are people on vacation in a beautiful setting enjoying life. It was such a strange contradiction, but it really added to the awkwardness of the narrative. If this book had happened somewhere else, say Ohio or something, I don't think it would have had the same impact. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to read adult fiction. There is something for everyone here. I fell in love with Matt and his kids. I believe they have a bright future as a family and I feel really strange about this, but I almost feel like they are real people. What a fantastic read. One of my favorites of 2011.Now go get the Academy Award Mr. Clooney!