Frost

Frost - Marianna Baer Blurb:Leena Thomas’s senior year at boarding school begins with a shock: Frost House, her cozy dorm of close friends, has been assigned an unexpected roommate: confrontational, eccentric Celeste Lazar. But while Leena’s anxiety about a threat to her sanctuary proves valid, it becomes less and less clear whether the threat lies with her new roommate, within Leena’s own mind, or within the very nature of Frost House itself. Mysterious happenings in the dorm, an intense triangle between Leena, Celeste, and Celeste’s brother, and the reawakening of childhood fears, all push Leena to take increasingly desperate measures to feel safe. Frost is the story of a haunting. As to whether the demons are supernatural or psychological . . . well, which answer would let you sleep at night?Review:This is going to be a quick review. I just finished this book last night, and to be honest, I'm kinda angry. I just felt the ending was so anticlimactic. I was expecting Fight Club (after discussing plot elements with my husband), and I got something on the other end of the spectrum entirely. I hate when I'm reading and I feel a book has so much promise only to get to the ending and be let down. I can't tell you what happened without spoiling it, so I won't. I just want you to know how utterly disappointed I was.The characters? Wholly unlikeable. But I let it slide because I thought there was a decent reason for it. I enjoyed the plot enough to keep reading even though the characters made me want to hang them and myself. The protagonist was a little abnormal. Okay, a lot abnormal. She had an addiction to prescription drugs and spent a good part of her day in her closet, anthropomorphizing a wooden owl named Cubby. Doing that as a kid is not such a bad thing. But as a 17 year old? Pretty bizarre. She was crabby and whiny. Her best friend, Abby, was shallow and mean. David, her boyfriend and roommate's brother, was way too close to his sister. They had this gross incestuous thing going on. Celeste I liked at first, but by the end, I wanted to throttle her just as much as the others. There was this big mystery surrounding the characters, and it turned out to be a huge lead turd.3 stars for great writing, a fun boarding school atmosphere, and an unreliable narrator done fairly well. I enjoyed the book up until the end, so I can't give it one star. But what would have been a 4 star read for me became a 3. Shame.Favorite quote:David was sitting next to me. I felt his hand warm on my knee. He squeezed it and I squeezed his hand and I thought, maybe we should just die right now in a car accident. Because it didn't get better than this.