Shade

Shade - Jeri Smith-Ready "I read a book with a love triangle and I liked it." Sang to the tune of Katy Perry's I Kissed a Girl.I'd been wanting to read Shade for a very long time. I'm glad I was finally able to get around to it, because this book was awesome and a ton of fun. It was totally not what I expected though. It was much darker and more depressing than I thought it was going to be. I knew the plot revolved around death and ghosts, but YA paranormals don't usually have such a heavy tone to them. In some ways, I liked the book for this. It just caught me by surprise, and I thought the book would be more humorous. The other thing is this. When reading a YA paranormal, do you ever feel like you are reading a recycled plotline? I know I do all the time. And I noticed RIGHT AWAY that I wasn't going to feel that way with Shade. It felt truly original, and I thought the world-building was really unique. Yes, there was that little business with the love triangle, but aside from that small defect, everything else felt really fresh and new. The details were outstanding. The way you can keep ghosts away with black-boxing and obsidian. How a ghost can go shade. The mystery surrounding why the shift happened and what it means since Aura was the first one born post-shift. I'm still wondering how the megaliths, standing stones, and star mapping are going to work into the story line, but I am extremely excited to find out. I didn't know a whole lot about these subjects, so I enjoyed learning new things. I always love learning from the books I am reading. I'm going to be honest and say that a lot of the details in this book have escaped me already and I just finished reading it a few days ago. My brain dumped a lot of the information on its own. And that's not usually a good thing. I still liked the book a lot though. I just didn't find it as memorable as I wanted it to be. The characters were interesting. In good ways and bad ways. I absolutely adored Zach. I thought he was a fantastic love interest. Scottish, caring, flirty, intelligent. He was pretty much the perfect man. Logan, on the other hand, I did not understand at all. I can honestly say I thought he was a selfish prick. Even in death, he was still a douchebag. Just because someone is a good-looking musician, that does not make them a great love interest. I know it's hard to let go of your family and your girlfriend, but making her stay committed to you in death is a pretty sick and selfish thing to do. I hear that he redeems himself in later books, but I don't know if I can grow to like him. It may already be too late. I was on the fence about Aura. There were times I liked her, and times I thought she was kind of bratty. She was rude to a lot of the ghosts, and seeing them must get annoying, but some of the things she said made me really disgusted. She was hard to like at times. I still want her to find happiness, but she's a little hard to root for since she is so immature.Other things I should note:There was a lot of sex talk in this book. Like, A LOT. I read a lot of YA, and in some ways I am still learning about how the genre works. There was also a masturbation scene and I just don't feel right not noting it. Sexual situations don't bother me, but it might bother some. And I just want to point that out. Also some drug usage. The ending was CRAZY! It was sort of cliffhanger and sort of not. All I know is that is has me wanting to read the next book pretty soon. I've heard the next book let down a lot of people though, so I am concerned about that. Some of these reviewers are readers I trust completely.