Exhale (Just Breathe, #2)

Exhale (Just Breathe, #2) - Kendall Grey Wow, wow, wow. That sounds so cliche but it's true. I really enjoyed Exhale. I am so invested in the trilogy at this point that the characters could probably dance and play tag for 300 pages and I would love it, but that is beside the point. Kendall Grey is a fantastic writer and she knows how to weave a story better than almost anyone I know. I'll be honest and say I didn't like Exhale quite as much as Inhale, but it was still a fantastic book. I did give this a 5 star rating, but in the interest of full disclosure, that last star was kind of a bonus star BECAUSE I am so emotionally attached to this story. If I wasn't so invested, I would probably have given it 4 stars. But my emotions are clouded. Seriously. I don't even know where to start. Okay, let me just go ahead and get the negative out of the way right off the bat that way I can move on to the gushing and fainting. For me the beginning was a little slowly paced. I just wanted more plot. There was a lot of romance in the beginning, and while I love the romance between Zoe and Gavin, I think I am more invested in the whales and the elementals and all of that than anything else. But once it got going, man it was good. Oh, and the sexual tension? Yeah. There were times when I wish I had/was able to read this book in a cold shower. Well done, Kendall. If you like hawt sexytimes, this is the book for you. Good lord. If you thought Scarlet was evil in Inhale, you haven't seen anything yet. She was even more ruthless, scarier, and horrifying than ever before. Just when I thought she couldn't get any worse, I was proven wrong, time and time again. She is the villain you love to hate. But in all my years of reading, I'm not sure I have hated a villain quite as much as her. I want her to die a million different ways, if possible. I hope the author gives her a horrible, HORRIBLE death. I loved the addition of a few new characters. They were all wonderfully developed and brought new levels to the story that I really enjoyed. I'd talk about them but I really don't want to spoil it because I think it's something that needs to be experienced going in blindly without any outside information. And that's another thing that's important to mention. These characters go through SO much. Especially Zoe and Gavin. And I think the author does a really great job of bringing their stories to life and developing the characters. The story ARC is amazing. It's part of the reason why I enjoy Kendall's writing so much. For anyone that is reading this review without any knowledge of the first book, I would highly recommend this series. It's easy to get attached to these characters. I've fallen in love with the whales and the way this amazing fantasy world is developed. Yes, there's sort of a cliffhanger at the end of this book, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, and the thing is, the last book in the trilogy will be out shortly so you don't have to wait that long. So if you can't handle cliffhangers, then just wait another 2 months and you can read them back to back. It's definitely a series worth investing your time in. I REALLY think it brings something new to the table. It's original and there's not anything quite like it out there. I will be reading this author's books as long as she keeps writing them. I know I didn't talk much about the plot, but I don't want to spoil anything for new readers. Give it a chance. These books might be indie published, but you would never be able to tell. They are edited just as good, if not better, than most traditionally published books out there. Definitely one of my favorite books of 2012.