Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror)

Darkhouse - Karina Halle First of all, three stars is NOT a bad review. I really liked Darkhouse. But I had a couple of issues with the book. The one thing I do want to say though? You wouldn't be able to tell this is a self-published book. Is the editing perfect? No, it is not, but the errors were so far and few between that it really did not hinder my reading experience at all. And that is one thing that I run into often when reading self-published books. I didn't find that to be a problem here.As far an content editing goes, there are a few things I would have fixed. The pacing was off a bit in the beginning. Once the book got going, it was great. But it was choking on fumes there a little in the beginning trying to get started. The were some lines of dialogue that were a little awkward and with a little rewording, could have been smoothed out. Awkward dialogue really interrupts flow for me. If I roll my eyes, that is never a good sign. And I know that I am pickier than most people, but now that I edit as a career, it's hard to not read for enjoyment the same way that I do for work. Though I try. I could tell you that the author used more adverbs than she should have and that there was a lot of showing v. telling, and there was in spots. But I still found this to be a really FUN reading experience. And that's what reading is about. This was just a really GOOD book. I love reading about ghosts and creepy things. I love being scared and being on the edge of my seat waiting for something to make me jump. I love atmospheric settings. And this book had all of those things. If you are a fan of Supernatural or any of the ghost hunting shows, you will probably like this book.Most of all though, the thing I loved most about Darkhouse were the characters, Perry and Dex. First of all, I talk to Karina a lot on Twitter and through Facebook and I love her to death. I've gotten to know her quite a bit and she's amazing. And perhaps that is why I loved her characters so much. I can see her personality a lot in them. And since I love her, it was only natural that I would love them. Dex is a brooding smart ass and not every reader is going to love him, but I did. He's mysterious but fun. Moody but intriguing. Perry is a cynical, sarcastic, hilarious girl. I saw a lot of myself in her. Was she a bit whiny? Sure. But I totally get where she was coming from. And the two of them together are intense. You want them to get together, but most of all, I just really loved the progression of their friendship. Karina knows what she is doing with these two, and it's only the first book. Fantastic.So now I'm going to whine a little. I was disappointed by the ending. I didn't love the way it wrapped up. I wanted more resolution with the actual storyline. I loved the way SOME loose ends were tied up, but I felt like the book was unfinished. So I kind of hope in the future, we might be coming back to this story. I really can't say much more without spoiling the book and I don't want to do that so, just read it. If you like books about ghosts, the paranormal, romantic tension, or a creepy setting, you will probably like Darkhouse. It's not perfect, but it sure is a lot of fun.