Enclave (Razorland Series #1)

Enclave (Razorland Series #1) - Enclave Summary:WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember. As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning. Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn’t like following orders. At first she thinks he’s crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don’t always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling the truth. Her partner confuses her; she’s never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as using his knives with feral grace. As Deuce’s perception shifts, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival. The mindless Freaks, once considered a threat only due to their sheer numbers, show signs of cunning and strategy… but the elders refuse to heed any warnings. Despite imminent disaster, the enclave puts their faith in strictures and sacrifice instead. No matter how she tries, Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she’s ever known.____________________________________________Zombies. Yes, that's right zombies. People living in the sewers trying to survive while eating rats and surviving said zombies. An apocalyptic New York City with crumbling buildings and ferocious gangs that rape women to keep their numbers up. A world that has been decimated by a deadly virus. There is no safety anywhere. What would you do? How would you survive? And that's how I've chosen to quickly describe this novel. It is a dystopian lover's dream. It has all the elements that make a book suspenseful, enjoyable, and a little bit frightening. Amazing characters. Scary monsters. Well honestly, they weren't scary at first. But then they got really scary. And that was about when the book really got going too. Reading this is like watching an action movie, in that it moves really fast. It's suspenseful and nerve-wracking. I wish it had been longer, but that only means it was amazing. For awhile while I was reading I was only going to rate this book 4 stars. But in the end, when I finished, I decided it was definitely worth 5. I don't know exactly when my mind changed but if I had to guess, I would say it was somewhere around halfway.Great characterizations in this novel. Awesome character development. Everyone changed and adapted. Their personalities and perspectives changed and it was mesmerizing while it was happening. Very vivid settings as well, but the descriptions weren't over done at all. The author gave you plenty of room to create your own world in your mind. I loved that. Best part, no cliffhanger. But it's a series, so I'm expecting an entirely new storyline for the next book. But I definitely think this book was a stand-alone. If you love dystopian novels, apocalyptic storylines, or reading about zombies, I can promise that you will enjoy this one. Even if you are an adult, pick it up. You will love it. It's gotten great reviews and I can definitely see why. It's a popular read, but it definitely needs to get more hype behind it. Because it's one of those novels that live up to the hype. I have been looking forward to reading this for months now. I was afraid it was going to let me down. And it so didn't.