Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood #1)

Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood #1) - Heather Hildenbrand Blurb:I killed a girl last night. I did it with my bare hands and an old piece of pipe I found lying next to the dumpster. But that’s not the part that got me. The part that scared me, the part I can’t seem to wrap my head around and still has me reeling, was that when she charged me, her body shifted – and then she was a wolf. All snapping teeth and and extended claws. But by the time I stood over her lifeless body, she was a girl again. That’s about the time I went into shock… And that was the moment he showed up.Review:So the blurb up above covers the very beginning of the book. That's it. There's a whole lot of stuff that happens after that. Obviously. And it's great. I hate summarizing, so I won't do it, but if you are a YA paranormal fan, you MUST read this book. I LOVED it. It was seriously one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I have had in quite some time. And that's saying a lot for me. I am out-of-this-world picky. The characters were awesome. Tara was strong and determined and such a fighter. Wes was such a great guy. He did a few things that ticked me off, but for the most part he treated Tara like an equal. He just didn't want to see her get hurt. There were a few Twilightish things that happened that made me think that the author was definitely a fan, but they were just little things. I sort of wished they hadn't been there though. Like a character saying he wanted to stay "Switzerland." I quirked a brow at that one. But for the most part, my criticisms are minor.I loved the plot and the way it unfolded. I was really, REALLY into this story and I can't wait to see where the author takes it in the next book. The story really was action-packed and there was never a dull moment. It was so hard to put this book down at the end of the night and go to sleep. And do work. And eat. Yeah, you get it. So needless to say, I am hooked. I have the next book in the series and I will be reading it as soon as I can. I need to know what happens next. I hear there's a love triangle, and I'm not so sure how I feel about that (I'm a little over love triangles), but if anyone can make it amazing, this author can. Her writing style just drew me in and wanted to make me keep reading.Alright. Here comes a tiny bit of nitpicking. Errant commas. Seriously. I know. But you guys. I'm a copy editor. And I want every narrative to be perfect and if it isn't I have to say something. I just have to. I am by no means perfect myself, but I feel like we have a duty to help each other improve. So with that, there were A LOT of passages where there were rogue and unnecessary commas. If you read it aloud and you don't read it with a pause, don't put a comma there. Just don't. Also, if there is any confusion, generally a free grammar program will find them for you. There is one for download that I know of off the top of my head. It doesn't catch everything, but it will catch issues with commas. And that is all. Other than that, I loved this book. Read it. You know you want to!