Relapse (Vs. Reality, #2) - Blake Northcott So this is book two in the Vs. Reality series. If you haven't read book one, you really should do so, especially if you love superhero stories and movies like X-Men and Spiderman and the such. I, admittedly, am NOT a comic book fan, but that doesn't mean this book doesn't have something to offer for those who do not enjoy them. Because it's still a really exciting series. Now I didn't like this book as much as I liked the first one, but I still quite enjoyed it. One of the best things about these books are they are very fast reads. Not only are they short (about 175 pages each), but they also read very quickly because they are so action packed and full of excitement. I ran into a bit of a problem with this one because I didn't find it as exciting as the first, but I did appreciate the direction the author took the story arc in and I approve of the way the characters continued to develop. Still, if you are looking for a quick read, you can polish these off in a couple of hours. So if I liked it so much, why did I give it 3 stars? Well, I did give the first book 4 stars. But because I didn't like this one as much, I couldn't give it the same rating. Aside from the lack of action, I did have some small issues with the writing. First of all, you should know I HATE usage of the"R" word in fiction. I feel that way about a lot of words, but this one irritates me more than most. And it's a no-no. Sometimes it's passable if a character says it but then is reprimanded, but how often does that really happen? I have yet to see it. Here it was used flippantly as an insult and I am so not okay with that. That being said, I would rather it be left out altogether.And then, there was a fair amount of head-jumping. It was definitely an intentional writing style, but it yanked me out of the narrative more than once. Also, the present tense to past tense switching got on my nerves, especially towards the beginning. Sometimes easier is better. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be third person omniscient, but it sort of felt like it was and sort of felt like it wasn't. If that is the case, I understand the head-jumping, but a narrator was never mentioned and I feel it could have been executed better. But that's just me.The book, however, is definitely still worth reading. It's a decent self-published series and I can assuredly say that I think this author is going places. She's got a lot of skill, and with a little refinement could really write something special. If you are looking for something fast-paced, look no further. These books are full of exploding and read like the screenplay to an action movie. Well done. Oh, and I adore GOTO.