Shine

Shine -  Lauren Myracle The whole time I was reading Shine, I couldn't help but think what a gorgeous book this was. The prose was just brilliantly written, and the thing I think I loved most was the voice of Cat. It just felt extremely authentic and really created a wonderful sense of place while reading. Although the book covers a very sensitive subject matter, and I spent a good majority of the book angry, I still as a reader appreciated the beauty in the writing. Not to mention, this has to be the prettiest cover on a book I have ever seen. I really, really enjoyed reading Shine. I don't think I can express to you guys in words how special this book was. How quick I blew through the pages because I just couldn't put it down. It does not only come in a pretty package, but the insides blew me away as well. As a complete advocate for GLBT rights and gay marriage, I think there needs to be more books like this out there. The more minds we can open with this type of literature, the better off as a society we will be.I just quickly want to touch on the ending without spoiling anything. It was a bit of a letdown and the reason I docked a star. It did not end the way I thought it would and definitely not like I thought it should. I expected a little bit more from a book that completely blew me away until we got to the climax. It ended too much like a typical thriller for me. This book deserved better than that. These characters deserved better than that, and Lauren Myracle, you can write better than that. And that's all I'm going to say because I don't want to spoil it for others. If you have read the book and have questions for me, feel free to email me and I will discuss it with you there.