Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror)

Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror) - Karina Halle I am so glad I decided to continue this series. I debated whether or not I should after Darkhouse. It's not that I didn't like it, it's just that I worried whether or not it would be for me. Well, I am so glad I did. Because this book? This book had me jumping up and down in excitement, cowering in fear, and having ALL the kinds of emotions a fantastic book should make you feel. I came out of it feeling much like this:Forewarning. If you scare easily, I would warn you beforehand. If you LIKE being scared, you are going to LOVE this book. If you don't, I wouldn't do it if I were you. Fortunately for me, I like being THIS kind of scared. And by that I mean the psychological kind. The kind where you have to keep turning pages. Or where you want to throw a blanket over your head and peek out with one eye to keep reading while cringing over what is probably going to happen next. Or the kind where you are so scared that you almost accidentally strangle your dog because you are squeezing her too hard. THAT kind. Not the gory kind. I HATE the gory kind. But that's not what this is. This book is utterly creepy, overwhelming, and shit-your-pants scary. Yeah, I said it. And it's because of the creep factor. Any book with a serious creep factor scares the crap out of me. Child ghosts, decaying lepers, the island's terrible history, the atmosphere, rabid animals, the tension between Perry and Dex.... All of this comes together to terrify the reader who likes to be scared. I wouldn't say I scare easily, but Dead Sky Morning totally worked for me.I love following the evolution of Dex and Perry's relationship. In this book it takes an interesting turn. Without spoiling anything, I will just say this. The tension? WHOA. When the truth starts to come out and Perry begins to see things? I couldn't put it down and the pages kept turning at an alarming rate. And the interaction between Perry and Dex? The conversations they have?I wish I could say more. Alas, you will just have to read it and see for yourself.It's not a perfect book and I do have a few gripes. There are some typos and the usage of the R word in a couple of situations irked me. Truthfully, I should probably give this book 4.5 stars and not 5. But I don't do half star ratings and I am not about to start now. So 5 it is. It's so damn close to perfect that It's worth it. It's a memorable story and one that will stick with me for a long time. The setting and storyline blew my mind and I am hard to impress these days. One other issue? Dex is kind of a dick for a large part of this book. I am fine with that because he is going through a lot (and no one is perfect), but he takes out a lot of his frustration out on Perry and I didn't think that was fair. What was even more unfair was how easily she forgives him. She gets mad but then she is over it awfully quickly. People tend to do this when they are in love, but it is also extremely unhealthy. And I feel like Perry can do so much better than Dex. I don't even dislike Dex, I just love Perry so much that I feel like she is up on this pedestal and Dex can't live up to the person she is. Perry is awesome; she is real, flawed, and has a lot of the same insecurities that many women are living with. For that reason I find her extremely relatable and really just want to choose her side in all things. One thing I must remember when reading these books is that every reader goes into them with different life experiences behind them, and what I find annoying might be completely awesome to someone else. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I actually love reading about the different interpretations of the evolution of Perry and Dex. I absolutely adored this book, but I guess I see things based on my own past history that worry me. Regardless of that, they are both strong and well-developed characters that you will either love or hate. And this is a fantastic book with a creeptacular story that will have you biting your fingernails the further you get into it. It's a great escape and that is all that I ever truly ask for from a book like this. Do I recommend it? You bet I do. And I can't wait to read the next one.