Stealing Heaven

Stealing Heaven - Elizabeth Scott Well, this went better than the last Elizabeth Scott book I read. I do think it's time I pack it in with this author though and call it a day. We just aren't meshing well together. Stealing Heaven wasn't a bad book if you are looking for something cutesy, corny, and over the top. It is all of those things and more. Sometimes I don't mind books like that. Anyone that watches romantic comedies knows what I mean. This book is exactly like that but WAYYYYY overboard. To the point it's almost hard to suspend disbelief. Why? Because of some of the dialogue between Dani and Greg--the love interest.Dani is a thief and Greg is a cop. She meets him in line for donuts. No, I am not kidding. The way the author describes him at first, he does not seem attractive at all. He has wonky hair, crooked teeth, and he speaks in an incredibly cheesy manner.So right from the very beginning I was not into this romance at all. Dani doesn't want anything to do with Greg because he is a cop and she knows her mother will kill her if she compromises their mission in this town. So this results in some incredibly ridiculous scenes in which Greg tries to find out her name and get her to go out with him etc. I mean the dialogue was utterly ridiculous. Nothing about this relationship was believable. They keep running into each other everywhere (because how often does that happen in real life?) until finally she realizes how charming and not ugly he is (I guess he never was but his descriptions are terrible) and agrees to go on a date with him. Before I ruin the entire book for you, you should know it is also loaded with tons of angst, mother-daughter conflict (the mother is batshit crazy--but she's supposed to be), and has a very unsatisfying and abrupt ending. At the same time, I don't know how else it could have ended so I will have to just let that go. So why did I give it three stars if it seems like I hated it so much? Well, I didn't hate it. Not exactly. I am fully able to realize when I am just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking and that may be the case here. Simply put, this book was just not for me. It didn't have much of a plot, and what it did have was all about the romance and there is a reason why I don't usually read romance novels. They rarely work for me. The writing was decent and I thought the book was okay, so this results in a 3-star rating from me. I can't really justify it. I should be giving it a two, but it wasn't THAT bad. It was just incredibly corny. And there you have it. Meh.