Forgive My Fins

Forgive My Fins - Tera Lynn Childs Full disclosure: I got sick and I didn't write this review when I should have because I could just not bring myself to type, so I have lost a lot of the details I would have needed to make this a really good and well-written review, so it will probably be crap. But the good thing is, I've had time to think about it, and I don't think I'm going to continue on with this series. I've talked to a few other readers and they have told me that THIS is the best book, and if this is the best, well I don't want the rest. Basically what I am going to do is just take the pre-review I had and expand upon that and hope nobody notices my lack of effort. My first issue with Forgive My Fins was that I found the whole mermaid mythology incredibly misogynistic. Why? Well...Lily had to be bonded to a male before she could inherit the throne of her underwater kingdom, but a male(her father--he ascended the throne before he met Lily's mom) doesn't have to be bonded. I was incredibly offended by this. Authors can write how they want, but I don't have to like it. And I didn't like this. I kind of thought it was an ugly message to be sending to teen girls reading your novel. "You aren't good enough unless you have a man with you." What is this, the 1950s? Ummm, no. I kept hoping there would be a twist to this as I was reading, but yeah...NOPE. It really WAS that sexist. I guess maybe that might be a thing in mermaid mythology, but why not take the opportunity to do something different? It just didn't sit right with me. And then there was Lily. She was possibly the most infuriating protagonist I have encountered this year. She pined over a boy who played with her, loved him for absolutely no reason--she didn't even KNOW him, and all the while she had an amazing guy standing right next to her who adored her for who she was, and for the love of god, I don't know what Quince saw in her because she was an ASSHOLE. Horrible, really. Stupid. Impossible to root for because she could not see what was right in front of her face. She was ignorant, foolish, blind, didn't think things through, and irritated me to NO end with her sea-speak.However, I really adored the writing in this book. And Quince. Oh, Quince. I know am a 32-year-old female and I will possibly get arrested for saying this, but won't you come rescue me from my life of boredom? That's the perfect guy right there, folks. Talk about devoted. And attractive. And a bad boy without actually being abusive. That's refreshing in YA. He was perfect. Lily, honestly, did not deserve him. When I read these books as an adult, I often feel like a child molester for swooning over the male characters. That's why most of the time I try to avoid the ones with too much romance. Because I end up hating myself. Hahaha! Hey, at least I am honest. But Quince was wonderful.But besides that, this book is chock full of crappy stereotypes and predictability. Mean girls and jocks abound. But it's cute. It's fluffy. And I guess I kinda liked it. Though I sort of hate myself for saying that.Edit: I did like it, but after much deliberation, I have decided to pass on reading the rest of the series. It just wasn't good enough. The sexism really pissed me off, and Lily is not a protagonist I can root for. And I hear she gets worse as the series goes on. I read enough books that irritate me, I don't need to pick up a non-review book that I know will drive me batty. So nope, I am done. But if you like fluffy romances with mermaids, this is your book.