Face Like Glass

A Face Like Glass - Frances Hardinge This was my first foray into Frances Hardinge's writing and it will certainly not be my last. I really, REALLY enjoyed this book. I have a few gripes and I will get to those in a minute, but first I want to talk about the good stuff and that will take up most of my review, thankfully!Neverfell is a young girl who has no recollection of her past memories. One day she shows up underground in Master Grandible's cheese tunnels, stuck in a vat of curds. He fishes her out, and when he sees her face, something about it shocks him. From that point on he has her wear a mask that covers her entire face and she is not permitted to leave his tunnels. Ever. Until one day when Master Grandible's rabbit escapes and she slips through a crack in the wall to go after it. That is where our story truly begins.Just like the blurb says, Caverna is a wonderful but utterly bizarre place, where for the most part, nothing makes sense. Not even to the reader. You'd think this would be a bad thing, but it wasn't. It's not like you don't understand what is going on while you are reading, because you do, it just defies logic. I am surprised this is a middle-grade novel because there are some pretty advanced concepts in this book. It's not that kids can't handle that because they can, but for me it even went a bit overboard. It is just so utterly detailed and imaginative.And it would be at this point that I bring up my few complaints about A Face Like Glass. I felt it was a bit TOO ambitious. The world-building was terrific and well-thought out but it didn't completely make sense to me. Especially the part with the Facesmiths and how Caverna's citizens' facial expressions did not fully develop. I don't want to ruin this for you so I am just going to mention that it was never fully explained and I had a tough time stretching my mind and suspending disbelief for a concept so advanced and out there. It was just a little over-the-top for me, and I know this is completely a personal preference but I need my world-building to either make logical sense or be properly explained. I also felt the characters were a little flat. Not Neverfall--she was awesome--but the rest were. Most of the characters were crucial to the plot and I feel like I never really got to know them as much as I should have. And that's not good because it kept me from caring as much as I wanted to. I cared about what happened to Neverfell but the rest of them were just names with physical descriptions and not much in the way of personality.But...BUT, that is where my complaints end. The setting descriptions were lush and the scenery was brilliantly rendered. The story was freaking fantastic. It starts out a little slow with the exposition and building of the story, but once it does, it's a page turner. You just have to keep flipping pages to find out what happens next. And this is not a short book. Sometimes it feels like it's a bit too wordy, but the language and writing are beautiful so it totally was NOT an issue for me. Yeah, that's right. This author is a master wordsmith.So would I recommend this one? You bet. But not to everyone. If you liked Alice in Wonderland you will probably like this. The writing is detailed and the ideas are fantastical. I spent half of this book wondering if I was drunk or in a drug haze. That sounds like Alice in Wonderland to me. It's bizarre and feels eccentric at times. This is a middle-grade book that doesn't really feel like a middle-grade book. But I loved it just the same. I will definitely be looking into this author's other work as soon as I have a chance.