Slide

Slide - Jill Hathaway I loved Slide. I had seen some bad reviews before starting the book, so I was a little worried about what I was going to find in its pages. I'm not sure I really understand where the negative reviews are coming from. If you read Slide and you didn't like it, can you please help me out by telling me why? I'm just curious. Am I missing something? Because I really loved it. It was a bit of a strange book, but nothing too strange. I just thought it was really unique. I read about 5 pages and I knew already that I was going to love it. One of the things I loved most was the pacing. WOW. This book moves lightning fast. It's smattered with abrupt sentences, short chapters, and it flashes from scene to scene in a very cool way. I liked that because it was almost like the writing was doing its own "sliding." I loved it. What is "sliding"? It's moving into someone else's body and being able to see what is going on where they are through their eyes. It is with this skill that Vee witnesses a murder. This was a thriller and a whodunit. But it was also much more than that. It was one of those books where you just lose yourself in the narrative. At least I did. It was a fast read and I finished it in a few hours, but while I was reading I was unable to do anything else. I even loaded it onto my Kindle so I could read it while I was working out. That's devoted. Ha. One of the things I was worried about from reading other reviews was being able to figure out who the villain was too easily. I saw someone say they figured it out right away. That SO didn't happen to me. My opinion of who the bad guy was changed constantly. First of all, there were about 5 different suspects. And I alternated constantly between one or the other. I spent a good portion of reading this book talking to myself. "It's too obvious for it to be that person. It's not obvious at all that it's this person, so it has to be this guy. No, wait. It would be really cool if..." Yeah, it got bad. Funnily enough though, the ending did disappoint me a little. It's just with all that build-up, I was expecting something way wackier than what I got. It was still good though. I don't know. I don't expect everyone to love this book, I'm just confused as to why I seem like the only one that did love it. I didn't give it 5 stars because I didn't love the ending, but I love the author's writing and I am desperate to read the next one. Desperate. This book was so awesome and so unique. If you try reading it and it isn't working for you right away, give it a little bit longer. Maybe it takes a bit to grow on you? I have no clue.