Brightest Kind of Darkness (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #1)

Brightest Kind of Darkness (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #1) - P.T. Michelle,  Patrice Michelle Brightest Kind of Darkness was a really entertaining read full of original ideas. It wasn't perfect, but it was certainly somewhere in my top reads of 2011. The reasons for this are many: the unique plot, the chemistry between Inara and Ethan, the solid characterizations and the writing itself.The writing was great. I seriously thought this book was beautifully written. I can tell that the author is skilled with her words and that she has done this before. It may have been her first young adult novel, but she certainly knows what she is doing. And lo and behold,I found out she is a romance writer under a different name.The sexual tension between Nara and Ethan was blow-me-away hot. And because it is a young adult novel, it never want too far. I am almost sad about that, but it's a teen novel. I get it. Ha. Ethan was like the perfect man too. The perfect literary man anyway. I also really liked Inara. She was tough and she was a fighter. And she didn't need Ethan to protect her. Yet they complemented each other. Like a real relationship should be. But most of all I appreciated the story line. It was an original idea that I have not seen in young adult literature before. And here I thought every topic had been covered and every idea written about. The plot was well-paced and kept me interested. There were a few areas where it was a little difficult for me to suspend disbelief, because honestly, I don't really believe in fate (it's a stupid concept to me), but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a fictional story about it. Shout out to the scene where Inara is running from those creepy guys and has to hide in the woods. Holy crap was that scene ever suspenseful and well-written. I could not breathe until it was over. I sped through it because I just had to know what happened and how that particular issue was resolved.If I have any complaints about Brightest Kind of Darkness, it's that I thought the world-building was kind of absent. I just wasn't feeling the setting. There wasn't much of it and it was like the author didn't think it was all that important to include. But it is. Setting the scene for the story to come is extremely important. If I hadn't found this area of the writing lacking, the book probably would have gotten five stars from me. But still, it was a great story, the cover is gorgeous and I really am thankful the author sent it to me for review.