Insignia

Insignia - "444 pages is kind of long for a young adult book." That was my first thought upon starting to read Insignia by S.J. Kincaid. I needn't have worried. It barely felt like 250. I LOVED this book. Loved it. This is the first YA novel I have read this year that felt like a TRUE dystopia. There are plenty out there that claim they are dystopians, but what they really are is post-apocalyptic. And there is a difference, folks. So using this review, I'm going to try to give a small lesson while at the same time relating it to the book. FYI, much of the following I stole from Wikipedia. Checklist of dystopian elements that are present in Insignia:~A society in a repressive and controlled state? CHECK.~Pessimistic views of the ruling class? CHECK.~Humans abusing technology? CHECK.~Not being able to properly cope with said technology? CHECK.~Unlimited power over citizens? CHECK. ~Black markets? CHECK.~Caste system? CHECK.It is not a complete dystopia because individuality is not stifled here but instead encouraged. There are, however, many more true dystopian elements found here than in many of the other pseudo-dystopians out there today.Also, there is not a lot of information present about the citizens that live OUTSIDE the Pentagonal Spire. But that was not really the focus of this book, and that's okay. We might learn more in the next book.Insignia starts out a little slow. The opening chapters are a bit info dumpy but they did hold my interest. What was missing was conflict. If you just read a little bit further, it will pull you in and you won't even realized it happened until you are completely hooked. This book is like a slow burn that turns into a bonfire. At first I wasn't in love with the character development. We don't get a lot of backstory on many of the characters and they all felt a little cookie-cutter to me. But yet, somehow by about the midpoint of the book, I was in awe of the individuality and different voices each character had. They all felt like real people and each had a unique voice all their own.There are so many hilarious moments in this book. There are also some pretty intense moments. Ultimately, this is a story about friendship amidst some fantastically detailed world-building and brilliantly imagined technology. I am in awe of the author's imagination. The writing itself does not particularly stand out, but the ideas do.Insignia was a long book, but I blew through this one faster than most books I've read so far this year. It wasn't perfect, but wow was it compulsively readable and I really loved it. It's the type of book that when you look at all its components individually, you see flaws, but put them all together and you have perfection. It's one of those books that just has to experienced to be understood, and I don't want to ruin it by giving out too much information.