Rebel Heart (Dust Lands Trilogy)

Rebel Heart - Moira Young When Blood Red Road came out last year, dystopians were still a fairly new trend and most book lovers were still enthusiastic about reading them. At least I think so. But now, after a year, they are still coming strong and there looks to be no end in sight. Which is fine, but it is a little tiresome and the fresh ideas seem to be running out. The good news though, is that if you were anticipating this sequel, it is every bit as good as the first book was, and in some ways better. Yes, I gave the first book 5 stars and only gave this one 4. But you also have to understand how picky I am now. And also, me knocking off a star is totally a personal thing. I had major issues with Lugh.Lugh. What is there to say about that little, whining, bad-decision-making blowhard? Well, I could not stand him? He would not shut up, and he kept trying to boss Saba around. And the thing is, that's fine if you have more knowledge or know more about a situation and you are trying to get someone to see it your way, but he went above and beyond that, and to be honest, he was an idiot. He was NOT coming from a place of knowledge because he knew nothing. He was almost verbally abusive and I think some readers might think he was. Now I know the author wrote him this way to make him appear damaged because of what he went through in the hands of the Tonton, but she also made him completely unlikable. I wanted him to get burned at the stake and shot by the Tonton all in the same day. No, I am not exaggerating. He. Was. INFURIATING.Fortunately, that's really my only complaint. It is a little weird that there is absolutely NO dialogue in these books, but somehow it works. And I'm sure if you decide to read this book, you have already read Blood Red Road and so you know the dialect takes a little getting used to. This time I fell right into the language. It truly took no time at all. I LOVE this author's writing style. Once this series is done, I don't know what she will do next, but I know it will be different because the styling here has totally to do with Saba's character and the world-building. But I still really enjoy the flow of her words and the words she chooses! It is SO important to me.As for the story? It just keeps getting better. There is a severe lacking of Jack in this book, which was disappointing, but there are reasons for that also. I really loved the story and the direction the author is taking it in. And the suspense? IT WOWED ME. This book was SO hard to walk away from and I read it faster than I have read most books lately. It's definitely one of my favorites of 2012. And in a year when most sophomore attempts are turning out to be mediocre, this is not one of them. And I could not be happier about that since this is easily one of my favorite series.It is a dystopian setting that is believable, truly works, and is actually frightening. The characters (sans Lugh) are brilliantly written and developed. If you liked Saba in BRR, I think you will like her even more here. She is a little selfish in this one but she has her reasons. We're also introduced to a couple of new characters that I fell hard for. As always, Moira Young isn't afraid to kill off her characters if she deems it necessary, so prepare to be a little heartbroken. Oh, and Saba does something really stupid. But if you can look past that and realize it is because she's human, flawed, and makes mistakes, then I think this is a book that will really resonate. It did with me. And I am DYING for the next one.