The Butterfly Clues

The Butterfly Clues - Kate Ellison I love starting a book when I have literally no expectations. I went into this one with an open mind and ready to rock. And by the way, this is totally not the type of book I would choose to read, but I am really trying to widen my scope when it comes to my reading preferences. And I'm glad I read this one. This book was a complete trip. Like I seriously cannot find the words to say what I want to say. It was a thriller, sure, but it was also a psychological mind screw. It was sort of literary as well. I'm not sure even the author knew what she was doing. It's not like it was hard to figure out who the killer was. The clues were there all along, but this was one suspenseful ride. And I really enjoyed it! It was scary, because this was real life. These things could actually happen. They do happen. In crime-infested cities. Every day. Regular citizens don't just go randomly hunting for killers. That's not exactly what I am talking about. But the whole murder of an innocent girl, strip-clubs. Areas of town that time has forgotten. Places that the police don't even care about patrolling anymore. It happens. And it's frightening. This was not a happy book. Obviously. And there were still some things after it ended that I am unsure about. Like for instance, if I was a teenage girl I could totally not date a homeless guy. Call it shallow, call it what you want, but I just don't think it's a good idea. I mean what does that guy have to offer a girl? What kind of life would they have if they got married? Seriously. He might be a nice guy, and he was, but really? Be his friend. At least until he gets his life together. That's no way for anyone to live. I feel bad for saying this, but what kind of parent would let their daughter date a homeless dude? I know I wouldn't. And that really has nothing to do with my like or dislike of the book, it's just a personal feeling that I had to get out there. Because real life just doesn't work that way.As far as the book itself, I don't really think this book is going to sell well, or appeal to the masses. But. It needed to be published. Why? Because it was different, original, and had something to say. Something that made me want to open up and talk about society. And real life. And I am glad there are still publishers out there that will publish books like this. No, it wasn't perfect. Not by any means. But it made you think. What is the true value of a person? Who or what dictates how valuable we are in society? Money? Where we live? Our possessions? Who we know? Why should the murder of a stripper be any less important than any other crime? This book was kind of mentally confusing. And I still don't really understand what I am trying to say. Just read it. If you find the time, pick it up. It'll make you think. That is for certain.