Eve (Eve Trilogy Series #1)

Eve - Anna Carey Goodreads Summary:Where do you go when nowhere is safe?Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth’s population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school’s real purpose—and the horrifying fate that awaits her.Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying. Readers will revel in Eve’s timeless story of forbidden love and extraordinary adventure.Review:You all know how much I love my dystopians. It's my favorite genre and I don't care that readers are now saying it's overdone and the latest craze and it's getting tired, blah, blah, blah. I love dystopians and I will read them until I go blind. With that in mind, obviously I was really looking forward to Eve. I love the cover of this book. I just think it's amazing and I was hoping that the inside would be as gorgeous as the outside. Truthfully, it was just ehhhh. It had a lot of great things going for it, but there was also a lot left to be desired. For one, I think the world-building is one of the most important things when it comes to dystopian novels. And I just felt it was lacking here and kind of all over the place. There wasn't a distinct feel and there weren't many distinct details that made this world unique. And then there were the characters. Truthfully, they were all kind of generic and blah. The one thing I really did enjoy was the relationship between Eve and Caleb. It wasn't insta-love and they had to build trust with each other first. It was slow and sweet, which I appreciated. I liked Arden, but I didn't love her. I thought her character could have been a lot stronger. The rest of the characters were all kind of names without faces. They didn't really have distinct personalities, and I wished they did, because it would have made the emotional connection to the book that much stronger.And that's kind of what it was. I really felt a lack of emotional connection with this story as a whole. That and there was nothing that really made it stand out from other books in the dystopian genre. It was a decent effort, there are just plenty of other books out there that did it better. Much better.