The Disenchantments

The Disenchantments - Nina LaCour This book isn't very long. At all. And the writing style is very bare bones. There just isn't a lot of detail. Because of that, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. And it took me awhile to get into. But I finally did, and though I will never adore this book, it was a good, solid read with a great message.What you should know before you read it:~Like I said, the writing lacked detail. If you are descriptive person, this book probably won't work for you. You might not hate it, but I doubt you will love it.~Character development was kind of meh. I did feel something for the characters (I felt really bad for Colby, and I thought Bev was a selfish b*tch), but that's about as far as my emotions went. I loved Meg. But I didn't really feel the depth of the characters. And I wanted to, and in this kind of book you really should be able to. Without much of a plot, characterizations are extremely important, are they not?~I enjoyed the road trip aspect of the book. Road trip books are great, right? This one was no different and I really enjoyed all the different places that they went. But I can't help but compare it to other travel books I have read (Wanderlove), and I found it a little bit lacking. ~Great, great ending. The story was fabulous and the messages were great. That is where the strength in this book lies. Life doesn't always turn out the way you want it to. And you just have to pick yourself up and go on, be strong, and do it on your own. Years and years of planning can get flushed down the crapper, but maybe the life you thought you were supposed to lead wasn't meant to go in that direction in the first place? Be open to new ideas and you may be very surprised about where you end up.It's also okay to do things just because they are fun and for no other reason but that.The soundtrack to this book was great. I love that they gave a shout-out to Heart (one of my fave bands of all time).