The Dark Unwinding

The Dark Unwinding - Sharon Cameron The Dark Unwinding was definitely one of my favorite books of 2012 so far. I wanted more than anything to give it 5 stars, but in the end, I couldn't. The writing wasn't perfect and I did find it dry in a couple of places. I found it a little too simple as well. I thought there were a couple of places in the book where things could have been explained better, and I was left confused trying to interpret events for myself. I had to go back and re-read and I hate that more than anything. To me, that's an automatic one star deduction. And it makes me mad that I had to do that. But as far as the negative goes, those are really the only complaints I have. Now I get to talk about the fun stuff. And the one thing that blew me away in this book more than anything were the characters. WOW. WOW. I cannot express in words how much they won me over. Especially Uncle Tully. I mean...I have no words. He is possibly one of the sweetest, most intelligent, and wonderful characters I have ever had the pleasure of reading about. He jumps off the page. He is so well-developed, and he is REAL. What's that? He's not real? *punches you in the face for saying that* I was so emotionally involved in this book that I was worried I was going to be devastated. The other characters were great too but Uncle Tully was the best. My favorite thing was how he called Katharine "Simon's baby." It just warmed my heart. I do believe Uncle Tully was Autistic. It was never specifically stated (unless I missed it) but implied. And I absolutely LOVED the portrayal of the disorder. I think the author did a FANTASTIC job painting it in a respectful way. Uncle Tully is a character you will absolutely fall for. You WILL NOT feel sorry for him because he is a unique character with wonderful traits. The other characters respect him and treat him as an equal which is as it should be. The story was incredibly entertaining. There is a mystery to solve, but also, Katherine has a decision to make. You will know right away which decision it is going to be, but it is an enormous amount of fun getting there. You will fall in love with the setting which is a character in itself, and you will want to walk this estate and be a part of this story. The Dark Unwinding is the type of book you escape into and do not want to put down. For me, the rest of the world fell away, and it was just me and this great, GREAT book. Like I said earlier, in places the writing was a little too simple for me and I wish a couple of things had been explained better, but it's a memorable book that you will want to add to your personal library immediately. I don't re-read many books but I can easily see myself re-reading this one.I know some are classifying this one as steampunk, but I don't really agree with that. There are a few steampunk elements, but for me it needs more than that to fit the genre. It's more of a historical novel for me, and it certainly isn't fantasy which is another genre classification I am seeing. As for the romance in the book, it was sweet and I loved it. I usually don't care for the romance in YA books, but this one never overpowered the story. It was always about the story first, then the romance, which is just how it should be. Lane as a character is a love interest you can get behind. He is respectful, romantic, and he genuinely cares about the estate and Uncle Tully. He wants what is best for every character in this book, and yet he is still brooding and sexy. He had personality, and whenever her showed up in the book, he lit up the scene. He is one of many reasons you should read this book. I loved almost everything about The Dark Unwinding. I would recommend it to anyone who loves heartfelt characters, an intricate story, an atmospheric setting, and strong world-building.