The Book Thief

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak Wow. I don't even know where to begin. So many conflicting emotions. I loved it, hated it, I'm just a ball of mess.One thing I do know is that I will always remember this book. Another thing. I will never re-read it. It's just too sad, too depressing, too difficult to get through. There are moments in the book when something great happens and your world lights up for a moment but then it's gone as quickly as it came. It's not a fun read. It was enjoyable in a depressing way if you are entertained by that. My emotions run high when I read. So it wasn't for me. Sometimes I think it's important to read and see things that are difficult though, such as this book. It reminds us of our mortality and makes us just a little bit more grateful for what we have.When I think about it, this book kind of is like a masterpiece. It was horrible but breathtaking at the same time. I think it paints a picture of World War 2 that is very easy to understand and gives it the right amount of gravity and emotion. Should I even bother to talk about the characters? If you haven't read this book by now, you probably won't, but the characters are amazing. So is the setting, obviously, as horrible as it is. Papa. I will always remember papa and his accordion. But as amazing as all that was, I don't think that was what I was supposed to take away here. It was about emotions and how the narrative made you feel. This was a book written for young adults, but it had a strong, if not stronger affect on me as an adult. So I think it accomplished what it set out to do. I do believe everyone should read it at least once though. It's one of those kinds of books. We never look forward to reading those do we? So I'm glad I got one out of the way. It's a heart stopper.