The Sky Is Everywhere

The Sky is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson Blurb:Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.This remarkable debut is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. Just as much a celebration of love as it is a portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often hilarious, and ultimately unforgettable.Review:I just cannot torture myself anymore. I know so, so many people enjoyed this book. But, reading is subjective and this book is driving me CRAZY! I am seriously annoyed by every single character except Gram and Big. But I hate Lennie, like hate her, and she is the main character. She is just creepy and unlikable. And then there's Toby, who's even creepier. And let me just tell you something. I had a squicky boyfriend in high school named Toby, but that has nothing to do with this. But they are one in the same. Douchetastic. I want to punch Lennie in the face and then do a 180 and punch Toby in the face. You don't respond to grief in the ways that they are. It's unrealistic and it just doesn't happen. You don't almost sleep with your dead sister's boyfriend. You don't run around with a pen and write poems on tree trunks and restaurant walls and everywhere else. I cannot stand Jandy Nelson's writer's voice. At first I loved it. But lord this lady turns on the corn factor. Normal people do not have conversations like the kind written in this book. Not any people I know anyway. People just don't talk that way in real life. I love the author's sense of humor, I think it's fantastic, but the dialogue, the situations, and the plot. Ugh. So unrealistic. I got so sick of hearing about Joe batting his eyelashes. I just couldn't do it. I was hoping I would love this book. I guess I just need more realism in my writing. Especially in the contemporaries. I must move on before I resort to pulling my hair out, strand by strand. Ultimately, I cannot recommend this book, but so many others loved it. But I was just disgusted.