The Help

The Help - Kathryn Stockett I am still reading this currently, but I have to start this review while certain things are on my mind so I don't forget them. I will remember this book forever. I can honestly say it has changed my life and the way I think about social issues.I don't want to talk about characters, setting, or plot right now. All that is important to be sure, but I want to talk about how this book is making me feel..and think.I guess I always knew that things were hard for blacks during the civil rights era, I just didn't know how hard. I know this is a fictional account, but I can't help thinking how close this seems to be to the truth. A lot of white people today have a sort of "it was a long time ago and you should get over it" attitude to black people. But it really wasn't that long ago if you think about it.I cannot believe the attitudes of white people during this era. Black people can give you diseases? They need to have separate toilets? WTF! Do they really honestly believe that and how ignorant can you be? Think for your friggin self! Thank GOD Skeeter is doing just that. Thank GOD there were brave black and WHITE people during that period in time to speak out on how wrong things were and to stand up for what was right and be brave. Otherwise, nothing would have changed and we'd still be stuck there.This brings me to my attitude and how I've changed. I always believed I had an open mind and I was actively working to open it even more. Yeah well, I still need a lot of work. But I think I FINALLY get it. I often wondered why it was okay for black people to use that GODawful N word and white people couldn't say it. Isn't that such a racist view? I am truly ashamed of myself. But I get it now. Black people use the word for each other because it helps take the power and the hurt out of the word and turns it into a term of endearment. It gives the power back to black people and helps them heal the hurt that white people caused. And they have EVERY right to do that. I get it now. We need to change our attitudes in America. We need to stop seeing color, sexual preference, and all of our differences and start seeing each other for the similarities we have in common. We've come a long way but we've still got a long way to go. I laughed at one point in the novel when Hilly( GOD I hate her) says, "Separate but equal." If anyone honestly believes that black people were treated equal by keeping them separate then they need mental help. Please throw yourself off Planet Earth. I can't handle the ignorance.I love being able to read a novel and become attached to the characters and care about what happens to them. I adore when a book makes me think about my views and if I get lucky changes the way I think and feel. This book did all that and more. And I'm still reading it. I love the characters Aibilene, Minny, and Skeeter. They are phenomenal people. I wish they were real. This book makes me angry, sad, happy and creates so many different emotions. I could write for days and days and keep gushing. But I think you get the point. Future classic. Hands down.~~~~~~~~~~Final words. I've finally finished it and it gets to keep it's 5 star rating, BUT I was seriously hoping for more of a resolution than I got. It kind of was a very sad ending. So keep that in mind when going to read it. Every other word was worth it though. It surely was a special read.