The Girl of Fire and Thorns

The Girl of Fire and Thorns - Rae Carson Goodreads Summary:Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness. Elisa is the chosen one. But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can’t see how she ever will. Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess. And he’s not the only one who needs her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake. Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young. Most of the chosen do.Review:The Girl of Fire and Thorns was a pretty awesome book. And I gotta say, I had read a few of the reviews before reading and I was a little worried. Because of the religious undertones. But guess what? It didn't bother me in the least! There was a lot of God talk, but absolutely no talk of Christianity. It's very hard to explain, but the book wasn't about God in the Christian sense at all. They just believed in a God, period. And to be honest, the religion in the book was pretty cool. I thought it was interesting and I totally did not picture myself going there. I also really enjoyed the atmosphere and imagery. I can't really say that I have ever read a book set in the desert before. And I didn't think it would be something that would interest me. Again, I was wrong. I thought the world-building and the descriptions were fantastic. The setting felt very real and I love how the author used it to her advantage. It really became a part of the story. I loved the scene set in the jungle where the royal caravan was attacked by the Perditos. Awesome imagery and action. I also really enjoyed when Elisa was captured by the Inviernos. Really fantastic and it almost played out like a movie in my head.I really wish I could give The Girl of Fire and Thorns five stars, but I can't because once again, I felt a lack of emotional connection to the story. And I wish I could figure out why, but I just can't figure out where it went wrong. There was one event that happened where I was just shocked that the author went there. And if it had been written by one of my favorite authors, I would have been devastated. And I didn't even shed a tear. This is a problem for me. I need an emotional connection to my books. It is what pushes a great book into amazing territory. Ya know? Maybe it's just me. But the fact of the matter is, that even without the emotional connection, this was still a great book and a ton of fun to read. I loved Elisa as a character. I like adored her. She was quirky, fun, normal, and very interesting. She was flawed and felt very real. But yet, she could not have been more likeable. She was a beautiful person inside and out and she totally made me want to root for her. I think this is going to be a series that just keeps getting better as we progress into the books. I don't know how many books there will be, but I definitely will continue. I can't wait to find out what happens next. Oh yeah, and the message that came with the story was great too. I cannot recommend it enough.