The Mysterious Benedict Society (Mysterious Benedict Society Series #1)

The Mysterious Benedict Society (Mysterious Benedict Society Series #1) - This is a tough one to review. There are definitely things I loved about it, but others not so much. Let's start with what I loved. The characters were FANFRIGGINTASTIC. I loved every one of them. My favorites were obviously Mr. Benedict, then I also adored Constance and Kate. I wish Milligan were in it more as well. I'm kind of conflicted as to whether this novel was character driven or plot driven. If I had to choose, I would say character, because the character development was pretty spectacular. Each of the kids changed and adapted throughout the story in a very realistic way. I think the children that read this story probably loved it. I wish more had! It needs to be appreciated more. I would've loved it if I were 12. Unfortunately I'm not. As an adult, I think it didn't impact me the way it was supposed to. The plot just didn't do it for me. There were plot holes all over the place. But again, children's novel. It's kind of supposed to have those. Then there was the fact that the plot was ridiculously linear. No surprises or twists to be had here. Except a baby one. But by then it was already too late. I just wasn't really interested or invested in the story. But I read it all the way through, so it was good enough. It did take me awhile though. It sat there a lot and there were other things I wanted to read first.Now that I've gotten all that out of the way, I am probably going to surprise you by saying that I do intend to read the next book in the series. I am interested to see where the plot goes next and what new developments there will be. It will be awhile until I get to it though because I have so many other things to read first.Just because I didn't find it spectacular doesn't mean you shouldn't read it though. You may love it. It was very well written and the characters were truly wonderful. I can see why someone would enjoy it very much.